July 26, 2016
Affordability, BC Hydro, Liberal Mismanagement
VICTORIA— Families will face massive hydro rate hikes after the Christy Clark government secretly added more than $1 billion dollars to BC Hydro’s debt last year.
“Just after the last election, Premier Christy Clark surprised families across B.C. with a staggering 28 per cent hydro rate hike,” said New Democrat Leader John Horgan. “By missing their debt reduction plan by more than $1 billion dollars, BC Hydro and the Christy Clark government could saddle ratepayers with another $500 hike each right after the next election.”
According to BC Hydro’s latest annual report, the crown corporation was $1.1 billion off target for a major debt, primarily due to a huge overestimation of domestic revenue for power.
“The current rate hikes were based on a plan that didn’t expect that extra billion dollars in debt, which means that there is an inevitable day of reckoning to come,” said New Democrat spokesperson on BC Hydro Adrian Dix. “That billion dollar blunder breaks down to an extra $500 for every ratepayer in B.C. Those are families and businesses across the province that will be on the hook.
“Even worse, Christy Clark and her energy minister seem completely unconcerned. They are pretending this $1.1 billion mistake doesn’t exist, when British Columbians know it exists, and it’s going to show up as an increase in their hydro bill.”
The annual report can be found here: 2015/16 Annual Service Plan Report
Page 29 and 58 of the report can be read here. The 10-year plan vs actual comparison which shows the $1.1 billion gap can be read here.
Sit Back Or Rally
I have to disagree with Jake Kimberley on his latest letter to the editor.
He claims that a referendum is redundant! That may be true Jake BUT to try and subdue a group of lovers of Skaha Park to not rally in a peaceful protest is beginning to sound like City Hall all over again.
The city signed the contract causing this mess without a referendum, yes but there are other issues for the purpose of the rally. It’s about being vocal on protesting the fact that City council signed the deal giving away the park.
In the latest statement to the paper from the Mayor, “all parties are best served by coming to the table for a rational conversation free from sensationalism and lawyers”. That’s a great idea! You can’t settle something out of court unless all parties meet.
Do you think the residents should sit back in silence and wait for the next step in a lawsuit, number one or number two lawsuit? Either lawsuit will cost taxpayers.
Do you think that being vocal as a group to remind council that we are not going away, we are not the silent majority but in fact to remind council we are still here is wrong?
We are not waiting in silence for another press release.
Time is running out. We need to be vocal! This needs to be resolved at a cost savings to taxpayers.
There will be a peaceful rally in Gyro Park Tuesday Sept 6th at 4:45 p.m. and it will be the voice of the people who will be heard. Bring your lawn chair and don’t forget your sign!
And as long as Skaha Park is left free for all to enjoy with no fences, who really cares which lawsuit wins…remember the trophy is the park and the winners are the people …